International Vocational Education 
and Training Association

Comparing Approaches to Creating Qualifications Frameworks

• 23 Aug 2014 4:09 AM
    Message # 3084186

I bring my training and background from a field outside of vocational education, and apply that training to work in developing systems for vocational education.  My training is in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, which among other areas, specializes in analyzing jobs and worker attributes, as well as assessing job knowledge and competence, and using that data to predict performance on the job.

I'm curious about the approaches others use to analyze jobs and use that information to create standards, curriculum, and assessments.  Essentially, I'm curious about how these aspects of qualifications frameworks are created across a variety of countries and systems.  If others have sources of this information to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• 20 Sep 2015 3:07 AM
    Reply # 3534436 on 3084186

Hi Robert,

Over the past two decades or so my job - and interest - has been in international VET. I have created most of the VET systems now being used around the world and like a mother hen am always interested to see how my babies are going.

There have been many ways in which standards have been developed. From functional analysis to DACUM to downright guess-work, all methods for writing standards have been used at one time or another in different countries.

You must also remember that there is 190 countries in the world but over 200 different VET systems. Some focus only on curriculum while others aim to provide the skills and knowledge required of individuals in the workplace. Some try to do both while other systems do neither.

I guess what I'm saying is that in order to understand how these systems work you need to look at them closely, one at a time.

Hope that helps.

© 2015 - 2016 - International Vocational Education and Training Association